Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Start of something NEW

Happy Halloween!

Let me introduce myself, I am Sunshine.  No that isn't my real name that is my nickname. : )  I am 26 years old, married, and currently employed as a housewife/student.  I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes in September of 2011 causing me to change almost everything in my life.  I was going to school for Nutrition but had met some hard times and hadn't gotten very far.  Now that I am not struggling to pay bills I have a chance to get back on track.  I also am an identical twin and she is also starting a blog but for different reasons.
Yes that is me looking all silly for an appointment at my Endo's office.  I was on my way to choose an Insulin pump!



So many to choose from!  After going throung the pros and cons of each I decided on the Animas Ping with One Touch meter.  I also am trying for the Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor!  I can even get this insulin pump in pink ;)

 No more insulin pens and schedules!  Sleeping in will be obtained!  I will be even more awesome!

The next step I am doing is signing up for classes.  As a Military spouse I can go to school here on post for free.  Next week I will sign up for maybe two courses, English and whatever looks easy. Ha ha, I am looking for easy A classes to begin my schooling again.  Get good grades for my base classes and then transfer to a larger college for my actual field of study which is Nutrition and Exercise.

This month I am going to try and get into better shape.  My goal is to be able to jog again by December.  I am looking at becoming a BeachBody Coach too and I sure do need to be able to look like a fitness professional if I plan on selling anything.  I have MyFitnessPal on my smartphone to track my diet and I made a workout schedule for my workouts.  I don't have to follow it exactly but this way I feel more motivated.  I own quite a few Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home Dvds so I made the calendar out of those, Yoga, and pilates.  If I want to switch it up with gym work or whatever as long as I log it I can cross off the day.  My goal is a half hour of exercise a day.  I am going to weigh myself in two weeks to see what is happening.  I would like to either maintain my weight and increase in fitness or lose a little body fat and get more toned.

Recipe of the day:  Pizza Lentils!

Ingredients.
1/4 cup dry green lentils
1/2 cup  spaghetti or pizza sauce, preferably lower in added sugars
1/4 cup mozzarella or Italian cheeses
Optional toppings:
Olives, turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, anything you would want on a pizza but watch out for added calories and fats.  Personally I like 8 slices of Hormel Turkey pepperoni : )

Directions:

Sort and rinse the lentils, this is important because there may be little pebbles and such in there.
Place the lentils in a small pot and add water until the lentils are covered.  Cover with lid and simmer for 30-40 minutes until lentils are tender but not crunchy.  Drain the lentils well and then place into a bowl.  Add sauce, cheese, and toppings.  Stir until blended and microwave until hot about 1-2 minutes.



Yes it looks a little weird but it really hits the spot when I am craving pizza!

Lentils-70 calories
Cheese- 80 calories
Sauce- 60 calories
Turkey pepperoni 8 slices- 35 calories

245 calories, 11 grams of fiber, 30 carbohydrates, and 22 grams of Protein!  Vegetable, dairy, protein, just grab some fruit and you are set.  This recipe is also Gluten Free and can easily be made Vegan or Vegetarian.

3 comments: