Monday, November 12, 2012

Happy Holidays!

This week has been a busy one.  I am very close to getting my Animas insulin pump with Dexcom Continuous Glucose meter!  Paper work is all sent out to all that needs it and I am just waiting for a phone call.  Still volunteering at the USO two days a week and we have been busy.  I have been maintaining my half hour of exercise a day or more still by utilizing time that I have in between everything else I do.  This weekend I pumped up the difficulty by going to our clubhouse gym across the street from my home.  My husband's job requires him to be in excellent shape so we work out together and support each others fitness goals.  I was on the elliptical trainer this weekend Sunday and Monday for 45 minutes with a ten minute cooldown.  I had my side hurting a little and my heart rate up there!  What a fabulous machine for burning calories.  I am keeping track of my food and exercise using MyFitnessPal App on my smart phone, 1350 calories a day.  I have discovered I need to work on potassium and iron.

Now that we have caught up lets get to what I want to discuss.  STRESS!  This time of year is stressful and if you don't manage it then your holiday season can be a bad experience for you and those around you.  Here are my 5 Stress Busters.

1.Deep Breathing; inhale through the nose for four seconds, hold for two seconds, and exhale for four seconds through your mouth..  Do this for five to ten minutes before bed and think happy thoughts.

2.Make a list of what needs to be done and prioritize! Yes you need to get all the holiday foods made, go shop for presents, decorate, clean, winterize the car, etc....but none of it will get done if you feel frustrated.  So get it all in order of importance.

3.Speaking of food.....Cut some corners if you really are overwhelmed.  Refrigerated pie crusts, ready to bake cookie dough, and using a Ready to Roast turkey doesn't mean the day isn't important to you.  What is important is enjoying the time you spend with friends and family and being thankful.  Can't do that if your pulling your hair out trying to make homemade everything by yourself.  I know from experience that if I am in a hurry then something isn't going to go right with a recipe.

4.Still try to eat healthy and exercise during this wonderful time of year.  I know it is hard but it is important to still take care of yourself.  Yes it is sweater weather but if you keep it off now then when Spring rolls around you won't have to get ready for shorts and tank tops.

5. Try to treat yourself to your own personal traditions.  Special cocoa, a soap or lotion you only buy during these months, a movie or book you can read every year.  I like peppermint cocoa, I like using a peppermint soap, and watching Nightmare Before Christmas and singing along.

Now for PIZZA!


Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust


Rated:
Submitted By: Marla
Photo By: jrbaker
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 2 Hours 45 Minutes
Servings: 10
"A healthy whole wheat crust that comes out soft and chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside. Use with your favorite pizza toppings or pizza recipes."
INGREDIENTS:
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F
/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.
5. Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 11/12/2012

I used all whole wheat flour, 3 cups and I had about a fourth of a cup that kneaded into it.  When it was time to divide the dough into two crusts I actually divide it into four individual balls.  I wrap three and then roll the remaining ball out into a thin crust pizza large enough to feed two people.



Each ball of crust is approximately 66-70 carbohydrates per ball so not too shabby when your sharing.  I topped mine with a sauce made from steamed carrots, a small can of Hunts tomato sauce, fourth of a cup of EVOO, one TBSP of Italian seasoning, and a tsp of Garlic powder.  Threw it all in the blender till smooth.  I have one cup of mozzarella and 3 servings of turkey pepperoni on top of that lovely orange sauce.
If rolled out thin then it is crispy and if rolled out a bit smaller the crust is really awesome and chewy.
You can use the dough for calzones, strombolis, bread sticks, stuff them with whatever you want.  Most of the recipe is down time so even though it takes a while you can easily step away and finish laundry or update a blog.  : D
Now to go treat myself to some herbal tea!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what an awesome idea! I am totally doing that. Btw, I have pics of the Pizza lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you like them. OOh pictures!

    ReplyDelete