Monday, November 5, 2012

5 Days Down

I am currently doing my own challenge of working out in some form a half hour everyday.  So far I have been doing very well getting in 45 minutes to an hour in daily.  This first week I have been using Leslie Sansone's 5 Day Slim Down.
It includes a warm up, then a brisk mile, then a mile focusing on arms, then legs, the abs, and then she gives you a quick 12 minute mile.  The DVD ends with a cool down, stretch, and a short message about the importance of a healthy breakfast.  It is a great DVD to start with if your new to exercise or if you are short on time.  I enjoyed doing this DVD because it was quick, got me moving, and I felt refreshed when it was done.  The Legs mile had me feeling sore the next day!  If you do the warm up, one mile, and the cool down you burn at least 100 calories.  Do this everyday and that is 700 calories a week.  You could lose a pound or more a month simply by taking twenty minutes out of your morning and choosing healthier foods.

Up next for my work outs is 5 Fat Burning Miles.
This awesome DVD starts out brisk and ends each mile with a 2 minute "boosted walk" aka JOGGING.  It increases your fitness if you haven't jogged in a while, like me.  The total time for the workout is around 70 minutes but it goes really fast.  This DVD is getting me ready for higher impact exercise and to an increased level fitness.  Each of the miles is paced to be a 12 minute mile.
This week I am volunteering at the USO so the trick is fitting it in to my schedule, maybe do 2 miles in the morning and finish the last 3 miles after?  Going to wake up early so might even get the whole thing done before the day really starts.

Now for a healthy gluten free recipe from my friends at DiabetesDaily.com

This recipe is brought to us by the wonderful Moderator and fellow diabetic trinitarian3n1

Chocolate Flax Muffins (use GF certified products)
3 Eggs 
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons oil 
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as DaVinci 
2 tablespoons water 
1 tablespoon of vanilla 
1 cup flax meal 
3 Tbsp cocoa 
2 teaspoons baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
2 tablespoons cinnamon 

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. With a fork or spoon, beat in oil, syrup, water and vanilla. 

In a small bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients, then stir into egg mixture. 

Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cups (without papers). 

Bake at 350 degrees 12 - 15 minutes or until they are lightly browned. (Some of us have found they need more like 20 minutes.)"

12 muffins 
85 calories 
7g fat 
4g protein 
4g carbs...3g dietary fiber...1g net carbs 

I have even added Sugar Free Hersheys chips to this mix and they came out great!  I bake mine for 18 minutes in a nonstick, well Pam'd muffin pan.

I made a non sugar free version just the other day.  I used Vanilla Torani syrup and placed a tablespoon of Nestle mini chocolate chips onto each muffin before baking.
Even with the non sugar free versions this recipes isn't that high in carbs.
My full sugar version has 211 calories, 9 carbs, and 3 grams of fiber. 6 net carbs!  I like to put Cool Whip on mine.

 I can usually have all the ingredients mixed and in the pan before my oven has even warmed up, great with a cup of coffee.

Feel like a chocolate flax muffin but don't want to make twelve?

1/4 cup flax meal
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
2 TBSP Sugar or Sugar substitute
2 TBSP cocoa powder
1 TBSP oil
Chocolate chips, optional

Mix ingredients in a microwavable safe coffee mug, add in chocolate chips if desired.  Microwave for 45 seconds to 1:15 seconds depending on wattage.  Gluten free brownie in a mug!  Found that recipe on the internet somewhere and never forgot it.
Enjoy and have a great night!


3 comments: